- Research & Teaching
University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
PhD. English Language
Genre Analysis of Medical Research Articles
National Kaohsiung Normal University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan ROC
M.A. TESOL June 2008
Thesis in English for Specific Purposes: Explicit Teaching and Nursing English
American University, Washington, D.C.
Interdisciplinary Major: Communications, Law, Economics, Government
Minors in English and TESOL
- Davis, B., M. Smith and R.H. Davis. Comparison of NETPAW and TABE for foreign adult learners of Nursing English. APAMALL 8, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, October 2007.
- Davis, R. H. Confidence and cultural cues: A pilot study of training call centre agents in a Filipino call centre. Talking Across the World II: International Conference on Call Center Discourse, Manila, June 2007.
- Davis, R.H. Listening and interacting: A pilot study of training materials for Filipino Call Center Agents. Annual Linguistics Meeting, NCKU, March 2008.
- Davis, R.H. Developing corpus-based training materials for explaining language to call center agents. Talking Across the World III: Bangalore, April 2008.
- Davis, R.H. Nursing English: Explicit teaching for success with language. APacLSP Inaugural Conference, Asia-Pacific Rim, LSP. Hong Kong, December 2008.
- Davis, R.H. Suggestions for the use of film in an EFL setting. Conference on Literature and Language, R.O.C. Air Force Academy, May 2009. Published in Proceedings.
- Davis, R.H. Medical research articles mapped and explored through discourse and genre analysis. English Language Research Seminar, University of Glasgow, School of Critical Studies, November 2011.
- Davis, R.H. How to teach Cross Cultural Communications in language classrooms. Feng Chia University, August 2016
- Davis, R.H. Marrying corpus and genre analysis to study the use of reporting verbs in medical research articles. Asia-Pacific Corpus Linguistics Conference 3: Beijing, October 2016
- 2016- present
Assistant Professor, Feng Chia University,
BIBA English Coordinator and Freshman English for advanced level
Part-time Lecturer, National Kaohsiung Normal University,
Teaching Pronunciation, Academic Writing and Public speaking
Part-time Lecturer, Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences,
Teaching cross-cultural communications and Business English
- 2011- 2013
Graduate Assistant Tutor, part-time, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Introduction to English Language, seminar tutor
Tutor, part-time, University of Glasgow’s EFL Unit, Glasgow, UK
English for Academic Purposes tutor, prepared students for entering University whose native language is not English, as well as IELTS preparation
Instructor, part-time, R.O.C. Air Force Academy, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
TOEFL and TOEIC preparation
Instructor, part-time. Cheng Shiu University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Teach Travel English and Conversational English
Instructor, part-time, Shu Te University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Teach Travel English, Speech and Conversational English
Consultant, One World Connections Pasig City, Manila, Philippines
Develop computer-based screening; create training curriculum for call center trainees
Consultant, Haven Link Solutions Pasig City, Manila, Philippines
Develop and demonstrate prototype training curriculum for call-center trainees.
English Counselor, National Kaohsiung Normal University, Taiwan
Work with undergraduate and graduate students to enhance oral, written skills
Foreign Director, Tinkerbell Kids Academy, Tsoying, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Train, supervise foreign teachers; develop curriculum; conduct workshops
Junior High Tutor, Rae-Fang Junior High:, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Public Advocate Intern, Council of the District of Columbia, Councilmember Phil Mendelson.
Solved constituent problems; built coalitions with District departments; press
Teaching Assistant, American University, Foreign Student Services: Washington, D.C.
Taught English as a second language to exchange students, American University.
Study-Abroad Intern, UNCC Institute in English Teaching: Korea and Taiwan.
Worked as a guide and interpreter; handled local arrangements for a group of scholars.
- Davis, R.H. Suggestions for the use of film in an EFL setting. R.O. C. Air Force Academy Conference on Literature and Language, May 2009. Proceedings CAFA 2009
- Davis, R.H. Lowering intercultural apprehension in foreign nurses: Effects of the explicit teaching of conditionals on intercultural apprehension of nurses in Southern Taiwan. Berlin: LAP Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN 978-3844310290
Teaching at ISTM in Fall 2018/Spring 2019
- Critical Thinking (FCU-Purdue Program Year 2)
- Academic Writing
- Intercultural Communications
- English for Specific Purposes
Courses Taught at ISTM (2018)
- Critical Thinking